Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I have been using Twitter for a couple of months now, really trying to decide what it is all about and if it is worth the hype. I have discovered a couple of things. One, and this was a total surprise!, it is an ego boost. The first time some "real" followed me (by that I mean not someone trying to sell something, a lifestyle coach or robot) I thought OMG, this person chose to follow me! I mean several people chose to follow me after I started following them but this person went first! Okay, not a huge deal but still it was a bit of a boost!

Another thing is that you definitely need something to manage your "tweets", I use tweet deck, I also tried Twitbin but I don't like the way it makes my browser screen smaller. (it opens up on the side of your browser). Tweet deck pops up a message that you have a tweet or a direct message or a reply. So far I like that best.

I find that I have learned about people who I was not familiar with. I have also found a lot of new resources.

All of that said, I do find it difficult to go through and a lot of times I just don't want to read through the status updates in order to get to something more interesting. Also, I follow quite a few blogs through Google Reader, it is hard to keep up with that, this is just one thing more that takes time.

I do like the idea of creating a PLN (Personal Learning Network) with lots of resources to help me. I am also learning to let it go sometimes, I just don't have time to read everything so I am learning selective reading habits. Also, I am very easily distracted, (one of those adults who found out later in life that I have ADD, explained so much!!!) so it is sometimes overwhelming, but I am learning how to filter better.

I read a couple of months ago that I had to give it at least a month and I had to get enough people to follow. I am now getting to the point where I follow enough people and have given it serious use for a month. I have to admit, the jury is still out!

No comments: