Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Things I learned about Second Life

I know that a lot of people are skeptical about this as a useful feature of the web, at least as far as education goes. And I will admit to some of that myself, but I do think a part of that is the newness of it and my age. It is hard to just accept this "world" as a place to do business or to be educated but what I saw a NECC really did influence my thinking some!

First I spent quite a long time talking to a gentleman from Indiana University in Pennsylvania, he is a docent for Second Life and is used to taking newbies like myself around the world. I had already created an identity and avatar but really had trouble figuring out how to get around. He definitely helped me with that and also to understand how a University uses a product like this. He had introduced it to the University Staff some time ago and gradually they began to see the potential. They have created Islands to help students explore ideas and concepts they learn in the classroom. As an example they have an island devoted to archeological digs and the instructors create simulations of actual digs they have participated in. The students can them explore the digs and learn more about what was found and also how it is preserved. He explained that many museums and universities have a presence and teachers can explore them with their students. While students under 18 cannot create an identity a teacher can use a projector to take the students into the island they want them to see.

I met another woman who had a book club. She had one in SL for adults and university students but also had created one in Teen Second Life. That I have not explored yet but what a great idea!

After talking to many of these people I began to see potential for this kind of web feature, letting students explore and create virtual worlds that represent the different areas they learn about would be very engaging. I can see students exploring Jamestown and becoming a character in that world.

Anyway these are a few of my thoughts about Second Life.

No comments: