Monday, July 7, 2008

The Wisdom of the Crowd

I think of all the concepts that we are hearing about because of Web 2.0 this one is the hardest for us to grasp. Letting go of the idea that we need an expert, someone who is an authority who can tell us what is right and correct and knowing that we are all experts in some ways is very difficult for many people. We thoroughly distrust Wikipedia, it cannot be correct or good if all these people can edit it. While it is true that there can be false information there, the group (internet users) is so vested in its accuracy that the crowd can police and become the expert. Collectively they contribute their expertise and wisdom to create a resource that goes well beyond what a commercial interest can give us. That is a stretch. What will we be doing next? How can this possible be accurate?! But it is for the most part! That is what is so amazing about the wisdom of the crowd. We all hold some knowledge and a site like Wikipedia lets everyone share that knowledge. I could post about places I have lived and be fairly accurate and if I am not, there are always others out there editing and correcting my work. That is amazing! By harnessing the wisdom and the expertise of the crowd Wikipedia has been able to host information about things that are so new they won't be seen in a traditional dictionary for years, if ever. Some of them will be gone before they can make it, but they exist on Wikipedia. Obscure information that only a few know can be found there, someone thought to post it.

Add to this the desire on the part of many people to participate and create and you have a huge resource available free of cost. We all want to be heard and noted, now we can be. I can write my little blog about my thoughts on this and anything else and I can be heard. I can go into Wikipedia and add whatever little area I know about. I can become an "Expert" for myself and anyone else who wants to read what I have to say. What will they think of next!!!

After hearing his keynote I am now reading James Surowiecki's book, The Wisdom of the Crowd. I was very interested in his ideas and it is a very readable book. I have only started and am about 1/3 of the way through but I can see where many of his ideas might apply even in an educational setting. His sections on decision making in cooporate America really resonate, I can see them in action even in education. This is a book I highly recommend.

No comments: